Monday, July 2, 2012

What is the World is Lattice Multiplication?

There is nothing that makes me feel older than when I hear my method of doing math being called the "old way."  This is especially true to multiplication.  When I was in elementary school, we learned the multiplication tables and had weekly timed tests.  I loved taking these tests and always felt like a rock star when I was able to beat my previous week's time.  As I progressed in grades, I learned what I am going to call the traditional method to doing multiplication (which sounds better than the "old way"). 

This week I was asked to learn a new way to solve a multiplication problem using the Lattice Approach to Multiplication.  I was stuck in my ways and resistant at first.  After solving the problem, I would check it using my preferred method to be sure I did it right.  After a week of letting it sink it, I now see how this would be an easier approach for students.  They are not only asked to find the correct answer, but also are asked to mind their place values.  Who can argue with this two for one approach?  I am finding it harder to do so, even if I continue to do the "traditional" approach myself.  What can I say?  Old habits die hard.

For all of you out there reading this, I have to let you in on a secret.  The Lattice Method has been around since the 13th century, so which method is the old one now?  Either way, I see the value in both.  I feel that my way is faster, but the Lattice Method is a better visual for students to see why they came up with the answer that they did. 

The following is a video explaining how the Lattice Method works.

                                        
                                                    





If you would like to know the history of this method, please visit this website on Lattice Multiplication.

Just remember, you youngsters, before you call someone old, that both ways come up with the same answer!

No comments:

Post a Comment